My Discharge Was Upgraded but I Never Received a New DD214

Two of the most important sections on your DD214 are the Character of Service and Narrative Reason for Separation, both of which speak to your conduct while in the military and the conditions under which you were discharged.

According to the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), “Generally, in order to receive VA benefits and services, the Veteran’s character of discharge or service must be under other than dishonorable conditions.” This means you may be missing out on important opportunities for VA mortgage assistance, education benefits, employment preference, and more because of a poor discharge status.

Upgrading your military discharge is possible, but difficult.

If you received an Other than Honorable (OTH) Discharge, a Bad Conduct Discharge (BCD), or a Dishonorable Discharge (DD), it is possible to get your discharge status upgraded. However, the process is complex and you may need to seek legal assistance. You can start here to find answers to some of the most common questions about upgrading your discharge.

In brief, you’ll need to apply to have your discharge documents reviewed by either the Discharge Review Board (DRB) or the Board of Correction for Military Records (BCMR) to determine whether or not your current discharge is erroneous or unfair.

Keep in mind that you only have 15 years from the date of discharge to apply for an upgrade, and you’ll be required to provide evidence to back up your application.

If my discharge is upgraded, do I automatically receive a new DD214?

Yes. Once the decision has been made to upgrade your discharge, a new DD214 (along with a letter confirming your upgraded status) will be issued and sent to you; be advised, this may take several months.

Your old DD214 will be voided and replaced with the new one, and you may want to order additional copies to have on hand just in case.

What if I never received my DD214 following my status upgrade?

Because no system is perfect, this is certainly possible. If it’s been a few months since your discharge was upgraded and you haven’t yet received your new DD214, it is worth following up with the review board that handled your case.

If you need a copy of your new DD214 sooner rather than later, you can always work with an expedited service like to locate and retrieve your documents.

Veteran-owned DD214Direct can help you get the documents you need, when you need them.

Our cutting-edge technology platform and keen knowledge of government protocol and procedure allow us to deliver your documents faster than competitors. We physically stand in line at the records repository and manually coordinate your order, freeing up your time and easing your worries about whether or not you will get your DD214. Much like paying a small fee to have your taxes done by a professional, DD214Direct provides the service and convenience you’ve been hoping for, plus we make it a lot easier.

Instead of having to download, print, sign and fax your document request form, you can submit your order directly through our website with the ease of e-signature technology from a desktop, laptop or mobile device. Once we locate your DD214, we will email you a copy immediately—a service not offered by the government. And tracking your request through us is simple, so you never have to worry about long hold times and inconclusive answers.

Ready to get started? Click here to begin the order process.  

Written By:

You may also like...