Whether you want to obtain a VA mortgage loan, secure burial benefits for a loved one, or take advantage of countless other VA benefits available to the men and women who have served in the military, you will need to show proof of service. There are several ways to provide this information, but one of the most comprehensive (and most requested) documents is the DD Form 214.

What is a DD214?

Upon discharge from the U.S. military, every active service member is issued a DD214, otherwise known as a Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. Because it includes information pertaining to the date and type of separation, as well as the reason for separation and character of service, this form is sometimes referred to as a Report of Separation.

What information can be found on a DD214?

One of the most valuable military service documents a veteran possesses, the DD214 contains a complete look at an individual’s military career. This includes his or her branch of service; grade, rate or rank; primary specialty; decorations, medals, badges, citations and campaign awards received; type of separation; character of service; and reason for separation.

What other documents show proof of service?

If a DD214 contains errors or is missing information, a DD215 will be issued to make corrections and add what is missing. The DD215 also serves as a valid record of service. Other key documents that provide proof of service include the DD256 (certificate of honorable discharge for Reservists) and the NGB22 and NGB22a, which are similar to a DD214 but for National Guard or Air National Guard veterans.

These are the primary forms needed to apply for benefits such as VA home loans and housing assistance, employment services, education and training, memorial benefits and pension benefits. To secure smaller benefits such as military discounts at retail stores, gyms, sporting events and similar venues, simply having a military ID card, VA-issued health care ID card or a veterans ID card or driver’s license designation may be enough.

Can DD214Direct help me find documents other than a DD214?

Absolutely. In addition to helping veterans and next-of-kin acquire copies of their DD214 and other documents, we can also help you locate your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF), your NAVPERS 1070/615 (showing honorable discharge from the U.S. Navy Reserve) and your Retirement Points Statement for members of the Reserve Corps (National Guard and Reserves). If you need a document but you don’t see it listed here, just give us a call at 1-888-997-4962to see if we can help.

Count on us to help you get your records as quickly and easily as possible.

DD214Direct was founded by veterans for veterans, which means we know how important it is to have the right documents in hand so you can provide proof of service and take advantage of well-deserved VA benefits. It also means we know how the system works and where to go to get your records as quickly and easily as possible.

Through years of experience—and a lot of trial and error—the DD214Direct team has developed a keen understanding of governmental procedures and an appreciation for the unique challenges government workers face. As a result, we know exactly what to say and which questions to ask to get results.

If your search for your military service records has been unsuccessful so far, contact DD214Direct today and let us take over. Once you place your order, DD214Direct.com will submit an error-free, perfectly structured request, track its progress, pinpoint the location of your records and deliver them with unparalleled speed—even by email.

Click here to get started