Fall is finally here, and that means ski resorts across the United States and Canada will soon be open for business. If you’re thinking about hitting the slopes this season but you’re worried that the high price of a ski vacation may not fit into your budget, it’s worth doing your research to check out which resorts offer the best discounts for veterans.
From coast to coast, some of the best-known ski resorts have knockout deals for veterans and military families on everything from lift tickets, lessons, and rental equipment to on-site lodging and dining. If you know where you want to go, be sure to do your research ahead of time and see what’s available.
Definitely check out the Military Epic Pass™.
The Military Epic Pass is a one-of-a-kind benefit offered by Vail Resorts. Inspired by company founders and U.S. Army veterans Pete Seibert (who served in the famed 10th Mountain Division) and Earl Eaton, it recognizes the extraordinary service of the men and women of the U.S. Armed Forces, the Canadian Armed Forces, and the Australian Defence Force.
There are eight different versions of the Military Epic Pass and each allows for unlimited, unrestricted skiing at all Vail Resorts locations. In addition, access to all 17 Peak Resorts properties (recently purchased by Vail Resorts) has been added for the 2019/2020 season. Click here for more information and frequently asked questions about the Military Epic Pass.
Similar to the Military Epic Pass, the Ikon Pass offers access to 41 destinations throughout North and South America, Canada, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and Asia. For the 2019/2020 season, a single (Adult) Ikon Pass is $719 with the military discount (instead of $1,049) and the Ikon Base Pass is $539 instead of $749.
What other resorts offer veteran discounts on skiing and snowboarding?
Below is a list of some of the top ski resorts in the U.S. that offer special discounts for veterans and military families. Big Bear Mountain Resort and Snow Summit in Big Bear Lake, CA
- Military Bear + Summit Anytime Pass $449
- Military Bear + Summit Midweek Pass $369
- Military Bear Mountain Anytime Pass $289
Big Sky Ski Resort in Big Sky, MT
- 20% off lodging accommodations for United States veterans
Killington Resort and Pico Mountain in Killington, VT
- Military Express Card offered for active duty, retired, and honorably discharged members of the U.S. military
- Up to 50% off lift tickets and direct-to-lift access
- Free skiing on Veterans Day and Memorial Day
Snowbird in Snowbird, UT
- $799 (vs. $1,249) season pass military discount
- Special lodging discounts for Hill Air Force Base personnel (including veterans)
- Daily lift ticket discounts for veterans and active military
- 10% dining discount for veterans and active military
Sugarloaf in Carrabassett Valley, ME
- 10% off window ticket rates on weekends and holidays for active and retired U.S. military personnel (20% off on midweek days)
- Additional discounts on select military dates
- 10% off lodging rates
- Additional discounts on equipment rental and sports/fitness center access
Taos Ski Valley in Taos, NM
- Military Monday: 50% off lift tickets and 35% off lodging at The Blake for active and retired military personnel
- Daily lift ticket discounts for active duty, reservists, retired military, veterans, and emergency service personnel
- Discounted spa services and dining
Wintergreen Resort in Wintergreen, VA
- 20% military discount on all standard lift tickets, rentals, lessons, and the Treehouse activity center for kids
- 20% off daily lodging rate
Most discounts require a valid military ID, which means you’ll need a copy of your DD214.
A Veteran ID Card is a great way to take advantage of veteran benefits and discounts, especially when it comes to planning your next vacation. Those eligible to receive a Veteran ID Card must have served on active duty (or in the Reserves or National Guard) and received an honorable or general discharge (under honorable conditions).
To apply online for your Veteran ID Card, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) requires the following information:
- Your Social Security number
- A digital copy of your DD214, DD256, DD257, or NGB22 that you can upload
- A copy of a current and valid government-issued ID, such as a driver’s license, passport, or state-issued identification card
- A digital color photo of yourself from the shoulders up
Need a personal copy of your DD214?
You’re in luck.
DD214Direct can expedite the search and location of your DD214 and email your digital copy as soon as we locate it—often in about 10 business days.
Instead of just filing the request for you, we submit it by hand and work directly with archival researchers to obtain your DD214. This speeds up the process considerably and helps us guarantee faster delivery.
Our expert processors are also trained to catch any submission errors that may slow down your request, ensuring you receive your DD214 as quickly as possible.
Veteran-owned DD214Direct helps you get the documents you need, when you need them.
Our cutting-edge technology platform and keen knowledge of government protocol and procedure allow us to deliver your documents faster than competitors. We physically stand in line at the records repository and manually coordinate your order, freeing up your time and easing your worries about whether or not you will get your DD214. Much like paying a small fee to have your taxes done by a professional, DD214Direct provides the service and convenience you’ve been hoping for, plus we make it a lot easier.
Instead of having to download, print, sign and fax your document request form, you can submit your order directly through our website with the ease of e-signature technology from a desktop, laptop or mobile device. Once we locate your DD214, we will email you a copy immediately—a service not offered by the government. And tracking your request through us is simple, so you never have to worry about long hold times and inconclusive answers.
Ready to get started? Click here to begin the order process.